In dreary November’s fog and snow,
Should prize the topaz amber hue,
Emblem of friends and lovers true.”
– November Poem
All About Topaz
The word Topaz is derived from Topazos, a small island in the Red Sea, where the Romans obtained a stone which they called by this name. Topaz is a mineral, occurring in rhombic prisms, generally yellowish and pellucid, also colourless, and of greenish, bluish, or brownish shades. It sometimes occurs massive and opaque.
Did You Know?
- The stunning November birthstone Topaz is commonly found in these countries: Brazil, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and China.
- The Topaz is commonly colourless, also light to medium Blue, Violet, Yellow, Pink, Peach, Gold, Green, Red and Brown. Topaz with Orange-red and Pink colours are rare and most valuable.
- The Topaz promotes individuality and creativity, while providing self-confidence in your own decisions.
- Yellow Topaz is also associated with Solar Plexus Chakra.
Yellow Topaz is a 23rd Anniversary gemstone and a Symbol for Good Luck and Protection.
The healing properties of the November birthstone are reputed to be effective for health problems relating to sanity, asthma, gout, blood disorders, tuberculosis and insomnia. The Topaz is also used to enhance spiritual rejuvenation and feelings of happiness. Gift this gem as a healing sentiment to show that you care. See our range of Birthstone jewellery at fabulous for ideas!
How to Care for your Topaz Jewellery
- Like diamonds, topaz have the property of perfect cleavage – if struck from the right direction, they’ll split cleanly along the cleavage
lines. For that reason, it’s important to take care not to strike the stone.
- Wear gloves (or remove rings) when doing dishes and household cleaning chores. Be careful not to get chlorine bleach on the stone or metal fittings.
- When it’s not being worn, store topaz jewellery in a protective envelope or cloth inside a jewellery box.
- Avoid exposing it to high temperatures and bright light for long periods of time, as it may darken the stone.
- Avoid harsh chemicals when cleaning topaz. You can soak the piece in warm water with a little dishwashing liquid added, then scrub gently with a soft toothbrush to loosen any remaining dirt before rinsing.
November’s Zodiac Signs:
Scorpio – 23rd October – 21st November
Passion, desire and power go hand in hand for Scorpios. Their biggest challenge and test in life is choosing between the power of love and the love of power, wise beyond the average, Scorpios often know all the answers.
Sagittarius – 22nd November – 25th December
Ruled by the benefic planet Jupiter, Sagittarians possess a natural exuberance, sense of adventure and love of life that makes them one of the most optimistic zodiac signs of all. Like their astrological symbol – the Archer – Sagittarians are renowned for aiming their sights towards whatever it is they find alluring – a love partner, dream job, vacation – and making it their own. They believe that anything is possible – and because of this belief system, Sagittarians are adept at seeking out their very own pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Happy Birthday to everyone born in November!