-September Birthstone Poem
All about Sapphire
The September birthstone, Sapphire, is chemically and structurally the same as Ruby. Sapphires are well known as being bright sky blue, but can be nearly any colour except shades of red (since those are called rubies). Sapphires are associated with the values of truth, sincerity, commitment, and loyalty. Sapphires are extremely durable and only Diamonds are harder. Artificial Sapphire crystals are used as the crystal face in Rolex watches, which are extremely scratch resistant.
Did you know?
• Ancient civilizations believed that the world was set upon an enormous Sapphire, which painted the sky blue with its reflection.
• In ancient times, Sapphires were thought to be protective against poison. A common belief was that a venomous snake placed in a Sapphire vessel would die! Ground to a powder, the gemstone was believed to cure colic, rheumatism and mental illness, and to strengthen eyesight.
• It was also thought that star Sapphires were a powerful talisman that would protect travellers.
• The gemstone is prominent among the British Crown Jewels, and Prince Charles chose this as the engagement stone for his fiancée, Princess Diana.
The Sapphire represents prosperity and nobility. It is the perfect gift for someone who is about to undergo a change in their life – from marriage to a new job! It is also the gemstone for the 5th, 23rd and 45th wedding anniversaries. A star Sapphire is typically given on the 65th wedding anniversary. See our fabulous range of sapphire jewellery here.
How to care for your Sapphire Jewellery
- Sapphires should be cleaned regularly to keep them bright. The quality of the sparkle is determined by the refraction of light through the transparent gem’s facets.
- Remove your Sapphire jewellery before carrying out household cleaning or gardening chores.
- Take care not to expose the jewellery to chlorine bleach as this can damage the setting.
- Sudden changes in temperature could also cause the stone to crack.
- Sapphires can be cleaned at home with a soft cloth and warm water with dish detergent. For deeper cleaning, soak the piece of jewellery in a dish detergent and warm water solution for 10 to 20 minutes, then scrub gently but firmly with a soft brush. Dry carefully with a soft cloth.
- Because of the hardness of Sapphires, it’s important to protect other gems from being scratched by the stones. Store your Sapphire jewellery in a soft pouch or cloth.
You can read more about Sapphires at Wikipedia!
September’s Zodiac Sign: Virgo, August 23rd - September 22nd
Virgoans are modest, reserved and practical. They are hard workers and known for their attention to detail! With a strong feminine side those born under this sign are both wise and compassionate.
Happy Birthday to everyone born in September!